Monday, March 16, 2009

Status update : going public

i did come across beautiful article in "times of india" (6th march 2009).I was tempted to cut that piece of the news paper containing this article. Another idea also came simultaneously to present this article on my blog so that others who missed it in TOI can read from here.

Dedicated to everyone who keep their statue message as
"available, available,available" on gtalk. :-)

*************************************************************************
GOING PUBLIC
richa jha
TOI: 6th march 2009

My social networking inertia makes me an anomaly in the web world.And what's is worse, one lacks the necessary spunk to announce it through one's status message on Facebook and Gtalk! I find myself at sea, surrounded by souls who wear their lives and emotions on their sleeves, changing their virtual 'status' each time their kitten coughs or the doorbell rings.
I have nothing more to offer by way of originality or wit than the perpetual drab 'available' while real people in the virtual world chronicle, comment upon, celebrate, debate and deliberate every smile, every toilet break and every mood swing. My alter-ego says, girl, cheer up, you at least are a netizen with couple of log-in IDs in your name; look at many around you who still think Gtalk is a dirty word invented by the G-string G-spot brigade and Facebook is a scrapbook full of portraits. But there's little solace in that argument, you'll agree.

We led perfectly non-defunct lives even before we began drawing almost-voyeuristic pleasures out of people's self-advertised mental, bedroom or boardroom one-liners. So since when did the human race get this eloquent en masse? And why this sudden urge to go public with the most personal of mood swings? I know, on any given morning, which of my 'contacts' slept late, which one woke up with a nightmare, who had what for dinner! Must one be told? To be honest, the status tags do make for some interesting eclectic reading! I read these personal opinions of people who, until a couple of years ago, i thought were just like me when there is nothing better to do.
The only opinion we freely dispensed then was whether the latest Govinda flick was more crass than his previous one. Suddenly, to read from them supremely profound, at times abstruse and even comic sentiments like, "life, blanched, smoked, it passes me by", only makes me more insecure about my own linguistic, cerebral and existential prowess. A friend, who has long since taken me off his list of contacts, commented in exasperation, "Available, available, available. Don't you ever have anything interesting to say about yourself? You don't deserve to be online!" Well, he said it.


6 comments:

Piper .. said...

Hey Neeraj, thanks for the words of support. I just wanted to say that it means a lot to me. I wouldve written a comment after reading your post. BUt I got excited seeing that you`re from Ranchi. Did you know my parents are at Ranchi? And that I`m from Ranchi? :) Its a small world,my friend..

neeraj_only said...

oh... , happily surprised i am , to know you are from ranchi.My association with ranchi is quite long. First i came here for my +2 studies. Now engineering from here BIT , MESRA(4th year, reaching end).

really , world is small place , at-least on "internet".It can not get any better.A few very good friends i have found on "net".

Unknown said...

so true.. i am ever so excited to check out the status of my peeps on facebook.. and its hilarious some of the stuff they share.. i would never do so:)

neeraj_only said...

hmmlife : so encouraging to get comment from you (would like to get many more..hehe).

ya facebook has many applications...... ever evolving crazy world of "internet". sometimes we use many "social networking" sites just because everyone is using that.
can't help...let the evolution continue...

Ashrita said...

Loved it loved it loved it!

I really don't get why people keep changing their Status messages every now and then! Maybe it is because they all need attention and a few laughs from people on their friend list.

I change my FB status like once a month when coaxed by my friends. I changed my location just yesterday, after 2 years.

neeraj_only said...

@ ashrita : barrage of comments from you , replying back was never like this for me .Thanks for dropping by here , with so many comments..hehe

and this article is my one of my "all-time-favourite" , that's why i placed this placed here on this blog. changing status message is like "showing" friend circle that "i am active" hehe.